Sitemap

Castello Canevaro

Castello Canevaro
Castello CanevaroAbout UsCastello Canevaro
Castle Canevaro a Zoagli 1891
Castle Canevaro a Zoagli 1891
See view of the Castle
See view of the Castle
The local fisherman in the Zoagli bay
The local fisherman in the Zoagli bay
Castle Canevaro 2011
Castle Canevaro 2011
Castle Canevaro aerial view 2011
Castle Canevaro aerial view 2011

The History of the Castle

In 1870, Giuseppe Canevaro purchased the land and the castle to the west of Zoagli from the Malfanti Spinola family.

The origins of Castello Canevaro date back to 1550 when its oldest part (the west-facing tower) was first built to act as protection from invasion.

The second phase of construction on the site dates back to 1640, when the mansion started to be built.

Construction of the villa facing towards the east of Liguria was started by P D Cambiaso around 1773.

The third phase of construction can be dated back to around 1773 when the L-shaped main body of the building connecting the tower to the Palazzo Malfanti was started.

Records have been found relating to the sale between the Malfante and the Canevaro families in 1875.

The fourth phase of construction dates back to between 1889 and 1899 when the Canevaro family commissioned works to extend the west-facing side of the villa and to try to connect all parts of the building.

By 1899, Canevaro Castle had been completed with the joining of the villa to the west-facing tower and the addition of a small tower.

In 1943, Castle Canevaro was badly damaged following the American bombardment of the Zoagli railway bridge to try to stop the retreat of the Germans. Significant damage can be seen on the east-facing section of the castle. As can also be seen from the Canevaro family archive only the villa section next to the tower remains intact after the bombardment, being rebuilt in 1947.

In the years after World War II the castle was divided into flats and became run down due to the lack of investment.

In 1998, the castle underwent a complete refurbishment organised by the current Duke of Zoagli, Emanuele Canevaro, and carried out by three architects: C Bruzzo, F Gotta and M L Grasso.

The castle has finally been returned to its full glory and is used for both weddings and events to allow the public to enjoy the Canevaro family’s rich history.